My girlfriend wrote this recipe out for me about 20 years ago!! It’s so good that I still have it, exactly as she wrote it, thankyou Erin!!
- 200g (1 cup) red lentils- washed
- 3 tbspns long grain rice – washed
- 3 tbspns chickpeas cooked
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 long red chillies slit down the side (remove seeds for less heat)
- 1 litre vegetable stock or IMITATION beef-style stock
- 500 ml water
- 400 ml tomato puree (crushed tomatoes work too)
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin
- 1.5 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds – crushed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Okay so this is the easiest recipe in the world… put all ingredients in a big pot. Cover.
Put on heat and bring slowly to boil. Simmer 40-45 minutes. Add more water or stock to loosen if desired.
Serve sprinkled with parsley and hot crusty bread – yum!
Amber | www.intothesoul.com