This recipe has been given the thumbs up by two very fussy and experienced cupcake eaters. I have never managed to sneak a vegan cake past them before… this is my first!!
This will yield approximately 15 midsized cupcakes
- 250 grams soybean butter (or your preferred vegan butter)
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 4 tsp Orgran egg replacer (at your supermarket)
- 8 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 250 ml’s coconut milk, or coconut cream if you you’re not counting calories
- 250 grams dark chocolate (make sure its vegan, most dark chocolate is)
- Icing sugar
- Melt the chocolate and allow to cool to room temperature (if you don’t let it cool it will likely seize, so do this step first!)
- Oven to 180C
- Line your muffin/cupcake tins and put to the side
- Beat butter and sugar until creamy. It won’t fluff up like dairy butter, but it will combine thoroughly and the sugar will no longer appear grainy, and the mixture will be smooth. About 5 mins.
- Beat the Orgran with the water until somewhat foamy and fluffy. Then add gradually add it to the butter and sugar mix.
- Beat in the vanilla essence
- Add a dollop of the chocolate and mix in thoroughly, then add remaining chocolate and mix thoroughly.
- Sift flour and cocoa powder together.
- Fold in half of the flour and cocoa to the mix.
- Add half a cup of coconut milk/cream and fold in.
- Add remaining flour and cocoa and fold
- Add the rest of coconut milk and fold in
- Spoon mixture into the cupcake liners.
- Put tins gently into oven. Set timer – cooking time is between 15-20 minutes – they should be firm yet spongy to touch
- Allow to cool slightly, and then remove from tray
- Dust with icing sugar (put it in a sieve and sprinkle it over them)
These cupcakes are firm enough to ice if you wish to, you can either do them as they are, or slice the tops off to leave a nice flat surface to work with. If icing allow to cool thoroughly before beginning.
Amber | www.intothesoul.com