- Hermit – a person living in solitude as a religious discipline.
- Alone, not lonely.
- By understanding yourself you can better understand others.
- A teacher or wise-man in a humble (dis)guise.
- Seeking inner truth.
- Connection thru disconnection.
- Opposites, intellectually challenges social norms and values.
- Accepts nothing as fact, all is questioned.
- Complete acceptance.
- Lack of need.
Once simply The Fool, The Hermit retreated from life, tired and worn down and in search of something more meaningful than his life offered. This journey into solitude has lead him to discover the layered meanings and complexities of the universe. Everything is far more complex and magical than he ever realised.
Whilst the hermit walks upon the earth as all humans do. However, he also treads the periphery of the spirit world. He holds his lantern up as a beacon in the night sky, illuminating not only the seemingly empty barren world around him, but also the shadow lands of the other realms. He accepts and welcomes both worlds however he chooses to remain alone in a state of seeking and enlightenment.
The lantern or the ‘light’ he holds in front of him symbolises the inner glow of his spirituality, the other world that he knows exists (the spiritual plane) and the belief he has in own life purpose.
The hermit can see things the unawakened mind cannot. His spirituality allows him to see into the shadow lands and discern more there than the naked eye could ever hope to.
The starkest example of this is his surroundings which may look bare or empty to those not holding the lantern of spiritual awakening, but to those like the hermit who in fact do carry the lantern, the environment is alive. He can see it all, it’s wonderful and sustaining and nurturing and full of discoveries and secrets that the unawakened eye cannot see. The hermit has discovered many truths and has many secrets, he enjoys the accumulation of knowledge, and he also enjoys dispensing wisdom when appropriate. He knows there are many more answers and even more questions than he can ever hope to wrap his mind around.
Solitude, experience, stillness, withdrawal, guidance, introspection, seeking wisdom, searching for truth, seclusion, private world
Range of Meaning
- Upright: Turning away from society and life’s fast pace, to focus on the inner world. Becoming or seeking out a guru. Going on a spiritual retreat. Recharging spiritual or creative batteries. Lighting the way for those with less experience. Stepping back to gain perspective. Man’s search for meaning.
- Reverse: Being a loner. Fearing contact with others. Becoming a know-it-all. Hiding your skills and talents out of fear of unworthiness. Turning away from reason. Living in great fear.
- Archetype: The Holy Man
- Hebrew Alphabet: Yod/Hand/10
- Numbers: 9 (fullness, readiness, ripeness)
- Planetary/Astrological/Elemental: Virgo
- Mythical/Spiritual: The Christ, while fasting 40 days in the wilderness. Chronos, the god of time. Father Time. Hermes.
- Story: On the verge of giving up, the main character withdraws, seeking clarity in isolation. He or she may receive advice from a wise person.
Don’t be afraid of being alone. Even the closest companions need some time apart. Being involved in a partnership does not eliminate your need to be your own person. To better please others, first learn how to please yourself.
Sometimes, you must close the door, forward calls to voice mail, and shut down your email client to get things done. Demand the space and time you need to get your assignment done. If you’re overwhelmed, consider bringing in a consultant or an experienced aid.
Learn to be still. Doing so is a challenge in today’s fast paced world, but the skill offers many benefits. Focus on meditation; condition yourself to slow your thoughts and lower your blood pressure with a few measured breaths. Daily practice will make a huge difference in the quality of your life.
To be the best you can be, you must know who you really are. Reject the definitions others project on you. Search within. What do you really value? What do you really want to achieve? Empower yourself by embracing your true self.
Predictions: A period of loneliness begins. One partner in a relationship departs. A search for love or money proves fruitless.
Timeframe: Between August 23 and September 22
Symbols and Insights
- The raised lantern. A raised lantern has long suggested knowledge: “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.” Here, the lantern shows the way to higher knowledge. What information do you need to bring to light today?
- The Star of David. This hexagram is a symbol of Judaism and is also called the Seal of Solomon. It combines the symbols for water and fire, suggesting the union of male and female energies. How might faith unify those involved in your situation?
- The staff. This incarnation of the sceptre suggests a different use of power, recalling the staff of Moses. Instead of symbolizing power or intention, it facilitates progress. What support do you need today?
- The remote setting. The work of the Hermit requires isolation; he is usually drawn in a remote locale, emphasizing themes of withdrawal. What might happen if everyone in your situation backed off a bit?
- The robes. The robes suggest the Hermit’s status as an initiate or member of an esoteric order. Are you a member of a group that could prove helpful now?
Questions to Ask
- What would happen if I simply withdrew and took no action?
- How can I get some perspective on the situation?
- Who has walked this path before me? How can I enlist his or her help?